Monday, July 29, 2013

Playing Hide and Seek with a Common Yellowthroat

Playing Hide and Seek with a Common Yellowthroat -
Geothlypis trichias

Walking back along Blackbird Marsh, I heard a call that was not familiar. The bird was in a stand of bushes about three meters high, and within ten meters of my position. So, I moved to a position with the sun a bit behind me and stood still.





















Most birds will not remain close to a human and will move off in their own cautious way to a more distant and safer spot. This bird did not, so I knew my patience was likely to be rewarded.
When I saw the leaves in the middle of the bush move, I raised my camera and was rewarded with some glimpses of a male Common Yellowthroat. 
Sibley describes these birds as "a rather secretive denizen of marshy or brushy vegetation," but I often find yellowthroats moving from one bush to another, oblivious to me while feeding with a mission, or singing in springtime from the outside branch of a tree.






















References

Fisher C, Acorn J. Birds of Alberta. Lone Pine Publishing. Edmonton. 1998.

Sibley DA. The Sibley Guide to Birds. Alfred A. Knopf, New York. 2000.

Sibley David A. The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior. Alfred A Knopf, Inc. New York. 2001.

No comments: