Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bald Eagle Juvenile

Bald Eagle Juvenile - Haliaeetus leucocephalus

The species name refers to the white head of the bald eagle. The head does not become totally white until the forth year. 
There is perch on spruce that commands a view of Beaver Bay, Curly Creek, and Mallard Cove, as well as a section of the Elbow River proper. This juvenile chose a good spot to look for his next meal.


I spotted the eagle from a distance and my usual hike took me right past the tree. This two year old was totally nonplussed by my presence. Never even looked down as I walked by. Over the ten minutes I watched he moved his head a lot but never left the perch.
References

Dunne P, Sibley D, Sutton C. Hawks in Flight. Houghton Mifflin  Co. Boston. 1988.

Fisher C, Acorn J. Birds of Alberta. Lone Pine Publishing. Edmonton. 1998.

Sibley David A. The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior. Alfred A Knopf, Inc. New York. 2001.










No comments: