Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Robin's Nest

Robin's Nest - Turdus migratorius

The Elbow Valley Constructed Wetland includes an information shelter. Today when I walked into the shelter, a Robin flew away from the rafters. Turning, I spotted the nest. I walk through the shelter several times a week and this is the first time a Robin has been in the shelter, so the nest, or at least the eggs, must be recent. 

Robins choose a variety of nesting situations and in urban areas, ledges are a common location. The nest is a messy collection of twigs and grass with a mud layer that lines the cavity. 
A typical nest holds 4 eggs with a range of 3 to 5 eggs. I climbed up and peeked into the nest and noted two blue eggs. There might be a third egg out of my vision, but there could not be four. Perhaps the Mother is still laying eggs?

Robins are usually double brooded and the Mother reuses the nest. Since I have not noticed the Robin or the nest before in the shelter, this is likely the first brood. 




No comments: